The renminbi (RMB) is the official currency of the People’s Republic of China. The yuan (Chinese: 元; pinyin: yuán) is the basic unit of the renminbi, but is also used to refer to the Chinese currency generally especially in international contexts. Notes come in 1 yuan, 5 yuan, 10 yuan, 20 yuan, 50 yuan and 100 yuan.
We recommend all our customers to purchase your RMB before you leave Australia through your bank or an exchange store. If you exchange your money through your Australian bank you have many other benefits such as a travel money cards and services. Usually it will take one or two weeks for the bank to process your money exchange.
However, money exchange shops will provide you a better exchange rate for your amount. It will also be a lot less of a hassle to deal with. There are a wide range of exchange stores you can find in cities, airports or shopping centres.
You will only need cash to purchase some optional tours or programs, extra meals and souvenirs from small shops (that may not have Eftpos). Most of the stores in China accept Mastercard and Visa card so don’t worry too much about cash.
Load & Go China Card
- $0 reload fee
- Manage your card anywhere with the Load & Go
- Get access to over 10 million merchants in China and around the globe
- Currencies available: Chinese Yuan (CNY), Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Initial purchase fee: $0
- Load up to the maximum available balance: $10,000 AUD
- Foreign currency conversion fee: $0 for conversions between AUD and CNY
- 24/7 Load & Go Customer Support
Multicurrency Cash Passport
Add up to 10 different foreign currencies and use your card at millions of MasterCard retailers and ATMs around the world.
- Add up to 10 foreign currencies on the one card
- $0 commission4 when you buy or reload foreign currency
- No transaction fees for purchases or withdrawals
- Withdraw local currency at over 2 million MasterCard® ATMs worldwide or pay for goods and services at over 35.9 million MasterCard retailers globally3
- Get help if your travel card or Multi-currency Cash Passport is lost or stolen, and access emergency cash through 24/7 global emergency assistance6
- Lock in the exchange rate7 when you buy or reload your card
- Reload online wherever you are
If you would like to find an ATM close to a spot on your tour or near your hotel, your tour guide can show you which ATM is for your Master or Visa cards.
If you have an issue using the ATM you can also ask your guide to help you. Most ATMs should have an English language setting though so you should be fine.